The St.Gallen Institute of Management in Latin America (GIMLA) represents the University of St.Gallen (HSG) in Latin America. In line with the internationalization strategy of the University, GIMLA fosters exchanges between the HSG and other academic institutes in Latin America. In its first phase (2018-2020), GIMLA’s mandate is to:
- design educational experiences in Latin America for the HSG community through the Latam Compact (block seminars for Master students) and the Latam Term (a robust exchange semester for Bachelor students)
- develop multilateral research networks for HSG graduate researchers and professors
- produce research relevant to Latin America, through inter-sectoral partnerships and connected to HSG expertise
At present, GIMLA is developing two research networks; one in the field of inclusive and sustainable urban environments, and the other on the interrelations between society, the environment and technology.
The Research Assistants are an integral part of GIMLA daily activities and work to consolidate HSG’s presence in the region. We are looking for highly motivated applicants who have a diverse set of academic interests and interpersonal skills.
- You will be inserted into either one of our two working groups: Inclusive and Sustainable Urban Environments (WISE) or Society, Environment, and Technology Interrelations (SENTIR) and participate in the research activities of the selected network.
- You will also contribute to the Latam Dialogues (an interview series on Latin American Affairs), where you will support the development of topics covered, the coordination and execution of expert interviews and the post-production of videos.
- You will assist the Project Manager in building a portfolio of research funding opportunities, supporting the drafting of proposals and the application process.
- Granted the opportunity, you might also be involved the organization of academic and networking events, including regular exchanges with the business and Alumni communities.
The ideal candidate is enrolled in a master program (major in International Affairs, Economics, Political Science or any related field) at the HSG or one of our São Paulo-based partner universities (FGV, USP, INSPER). Applications of exceptionally qualified bachelor students might also be considered.
- You must have a genuine interest for Latin America and for topics that situate at the cross-road between business, socio-economic development and sustainability.
- You are fluent in English and ideally have a solid understanding of Portuguese. German and/or Spanish are a plus.
- You enjoy working in a small team and able to work independently.
- You are committed, goal-oriented, well-organized and pay attention to detail.
If this sounds like you, we are looking forward to receiving your application!
- Gain firsthand experience of a growing and dynamic HSG Institute
- Become part of a small team marked by a very supportive and personalized work culture
- Carry out research on topics of potential social impact
- Get connected with academic, business, governmental and international organizations
- Local compensation scheme based on knowledge and experience
- The position is part-time (50%) and envisioned for a period of four months (extendable) starting from June 2019 (negotiable).
- If interested, please send us your CV and a one-page letter of motivation.
Deadline: Open until filled, review of applications will start on April 15.
If you have questions regarding the position, do not hesitate to contact GIMLA’s current Research Assistant Alessandra Swoboda for more information.